Yesterday afternoon and evening saw me get through a great session with the background tonal work on the cyclamen plant starting to come along really well. I was really worried about the leaves and the issue of capturing both tone and the multicoloured aspect of the leaves. The leaves are very distinctive with their two tone areas and I was not sure how I could achieve that effect, but I am pleased with how it is going. I will go back and work into the edges of the leaves once I complete them all and then can add in a bit more tonal work according to the light source, but at the moment I am more concerned with the getting the first part down. I will add further darks once I have the colour complete so that I can balance it against the coloured blooms.
The blooms were a little more successful and I was pleased that I managed to capture the texture of the leaves as well as keep crisp edges and be able to achieve showing three dimensions while keeping a light touch. I wanted the tonal work to reflect the delicacy of the blooms compared to the solidness of the leaves.
I am heading back to it to hopefully get the rest of the plant completed today- and hopefully start on the watercolour for the blooms.